Ricoh have announced the new Ricoh Caplio R30 – a more affordable variation of the Ricoh Caplio R3 – the Ricoh Caplio R30 features a 5 megapixel sensor, a 5.7x wide angle optical zoom lens, a 2.5″ screen, and no longer features image stabilisation (one of the R3’s main features):
“Ricoh announced today the launch of the Caplio R30 compact digital camera featuring a 5.7x optical wide zoom (28-160 mm in 35 mm camera format) in a trim body only 26mm thick. The new Caplio R30 is positioned as a more affordable version of the popular Caplio R3 (Released on November 11, 2005), which featured a 7.1x optical wide zoom lens.”
Read Full Press Release
– Inheriting the Caplio R3’s unique Double Retracting Lens System, the R30 houses a 5.7x (28-160 mm) wide-angle, high-powered zoom lens in its compact, 26 mm thin body.
Ricoh has historically manufactured products based on the concept of Expandability. In addition to the wide zoom, the new camera achieves increased photographic possibilities, anywhere, by employing an enhanced macro function?Ricoh’s specialty?and anytime by extending the quick response function, a conventional weakness of digital cameras, which contributes to the concept.
Main Features of the Caplio R30:
The newly developed lens storage system, the Double Retracting Lens System, has made it possible for the R30’s slim body—a mere 26 mm thick—to hold a 5.7x wide zoom lens.
• The Double Retracting Lens System, which has been newly developed from the original Retracting Lens System, allows part of the lens assembly to protrude from the camera cone during lens storage. This enables the body, a mere 26 mm thick, to hold a 28-160 mm 5.7x wide zoom lens. (Caplio R2 has a 28–135 mm 4.8x lens.)
• The highly versatile Caplio R30 delivers outstanding results in practically any photographic situation, whether it’s capturing a vast landscape in one shot, wide-angle images in a room where everything is very close, or the fine details of distant objects.
The macro function, Ricoh’s specialty, has been further strengthened.
• The camera has the popular macro mode, which can take a macro shot of an object from as close as just 1 cm.
• The Zoom Macro Function automatically sets the focal distance of the lens at the optimum distance for capturing an image as large and close as possible.
• If AF Target Selection is used, it is even possible to focus on objects without moving the camera.
The popular high-speed response capability enables stress-free shooting.
• Release time lag (the time from the instant the shutter button is fully pressed—without engaging pre-focus—until exposure actually starts) is as fast as approximately 0.09 seconds. Quick responses are essential in order to capture picture-perfect but near-instantaneous moments such as the expressions and movement of children or pets. Now stress-free, near-instantaneous shots are possible.
• Time calculated from the instant the focus is locked (half-press) until exposure actually starts is a miraculous 0.007 seconds.
• Shooting interval and start time are both rapid, approx. 0.5 seconds and power up in approximately 1.1 seconds, respectively (measured while the flash is off).
The long-life rechargeable battery and charger included as a standard accessory lets you shoot approximately 330 pictures on one single charge.
• Thanks to the power-saving features of the internal circuit, it is possible to capture up to 330 separate images under CIPA standards using the DB60 & BJ6 long-life rechargeable battery and charger even while using the large 2.5 inch high-quality LCD display.
5.13 megapixel CCD coupled with an original image-processing engine for high-definition pictures.
• The CCD with 5.13 effective megapixels combined with Ricoh’s Smooth Imaging Engine enables for high-speed processing and noise reduction resulting in clear images with true colour and high-definition.
• It is possible to select a 35mm aspect ratio (the horizontal to vertical ratio of the image) of 3:2.This is the same as photo prints so there is no need to crop and lose part of the original image.
The new diagonal correction function.
• Through an original algorithm, which automatically detects trapezoids in images and corrects them to rectangles. The camera is most effective in business environments where blackboards, overhead projector, time schedules, signboards, etc. cannot be shot from the front.
Sporting such features as the 2.5-inch large-scale LCD, the camera achieves high operational performance.
• The Caplio R30 has an easy-to-see 2.5-inch large-scale LCD monitor.
• During playback, 12 pictures can be displayed simultaneously on the large screen. While checking previous and subsequent pictures, the screen can be separated into three parts to allow fast forwarding and rewinding.
• The brightness of the LCD can be increased to maximum with a single touch and visibility can be adjusted to suit well-lighted areas.
Price and Availability: The Caplio R30 will be available from January. RRP £219.99 inc